Sunday, June 13, 2004

Multimedia and the multimedia-illiterate

I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of this blog is for, but since Craig invited me, it can't simply be to share expertise... I feel a bit of an intruder on the multimedia stage (I joined the youth multimedia egroup mostly for the recipes). I don't know how to do much, and I have hardly any equipment, but I love the idea of it, and I love playing, and I'm so inspired by what others do, and I'm learning to do more (am about to make my first foray into animations)... I have no equipment - well, apart from an iBook at home and a clunky pc at work. We do have wireless broadband at home, but I was talked into that not because it would give me faster downloads and more opportunity to do multimedia-type things, but because my "IT advisor" said it would mean we could search the internet while drinking gin and tonic in the backyard on a sunny day... (We've got the gin and tonic ready, waiting for that elusive sunny day in Melbourne...). I'm trying not to feel like a complete idiot in every conversation I have about multimedia and technology... or at least, not to let feeling like a complete idiot stop me from being part of the conversation.

I'm currently working in a resourcing role across Victoria and Tasmania with the Uniting Church in Australia. My major focus at the moment is children and families, but my position is evolving, as we speak, into working with people and groups who want to explore alternative worship. I'm not quite sure what it means to work on alternative worship from within the centre of the institutional church, even whether it's possible to do that, but we're going to give it a try. It's a very new area for us to be working in, and I'm a tad excited that I get to do it...

Apart from all that... I write... Christian Education resources, poetry, worship stuff... and my perfect job would connect all of them... I also buy a lot of cd's, go to art galleries, read a lot of books, watch crap tv, and visit scotland as often as I can...

1 comment:

Craig said...

I don't know what it's for either - but hopefully conversation, ideas, questions, possibilities, recipes...

I have to say Cheryl that your "Prodigal Son" multimedia presentation is stunning. (I'm saying that because you say you cant produce things) The Powerpoint version is 'alive' in ways that the text on paper isn't.

I hope its always about playing. That's why i'm into it. If only someone would pay me just to do creative worship stuff. The only way you get paid to do that is if they call you "Rev" and you have to do all of this other stuff that interests me very little. (apologies to the revs who i respect immensely at least partly because they do what I have no desire to...)

if you like visiting scotland, why are you flying to canada

double jealousy